Saturday, July 11, 2009

Lessons from a 7 year old...

A couple of weeks ago, I was asked to work on a "sizzle reel" for a friend of mine who is one of the producers of the show. Flattered that he'd ask, and a bit nervous (after all, I'm dealing with a friend's livelihood here) I accepted the job and found a fellow actress I knew to play my wife. We rehearsed and shot and had a great time doing it, and I believe our work was nothing short of excellent. It was one of those "This is why we came out here in the first place" sort of days and I relished every moment of it.

A day or two later I was explaining to my 7 year old son the whole concept behind a "sizzle reel"; in a nutshell, it's a very short demo or teaser for a new show-- the agency (in this case, William Morris) watches it, and if they're excited by what they see, they start pitching it to the networks. I explained that it was a good project for me because, for the first time, my work was going to be seen by agents at WMA--a real powerhouse agency.

"Of course, " I said, "they're not going to stop the reel and say 'Who's the guy playing the husband? We gotta get a hold of that guy...he rocks!'"

My son looked at me quizzically and asked "Why not?"

And I had a moment of realization that still makes me grin.

WHY NOT INDEED????

Why DO we limit ourselves and our dreams??

Press onwards!
Never surrender!

LIVE IT!!

No comments: